This is an activity for children or even a gown up, to intoduce plant biodiversity. Leaves, the main object of this activity are being use to identified plant species.
It was better to do this "sketching the leaves" in a garden or forest. Why ? Because then you will feel, see and smell better. But if you can't do that, just bring photos, sample of leaves in your class.
First, you can choose how to draw the leaves. You can make a sketch by observe the leaves, or/and you can rub the leaves (with pencil and paper) so you can get leaves appearance.
After 30 to 60 minutes you can gather under the tree and discuss:
- how many species did they found today?
- Can they organize and manage the leaves into different character of leaves (looks, they learn classification now ^^ )
- Ask them : what is the use of the leaves for living creature (plant itself, bird, insects, human, lizard, worm, fish...)
- Stick with the third question because you always can make another question from it :
- What happened if the tree doesn't have many leaves?
- What do you know about oxygen produced by a tree?
- Is there any connection between forest, river and the sea?
- You go on with the question (and I can take a bath now ^_^)